Sunday, August 15, 2010

I have a sweet tooth for Ace of Cakes


Yes, this is a Hogwarts cake.
Deal with it.

So I have only seen a handful of these episodes and after looking it up I realized why. There is no website that has full episodes! And, the tv times that this amazing show is on is never when I am available to watch. It makes me really sad. This show truly inspires me and I will tell you why.

1. Everyone employed at Charm City Cakes is an artist--not a culinary master. None of them went to culinary school, with the exception of Duff Goldman himself. WHY DO I THINK THIS IS COOL? I think this is cool because it fits very well with my theory.

My theory is that successful people are those willing to become something, not just achieve something. The most amazing people I have read about and known have always had the most amazing opportunities because of who they were, not because of what they sought out. Kind of like the guy in Marley & Me. He thought he wanted to be a journalist that went everywhere and wrote the politically upsetting stories. In order to do that he became a writer. In the process he became a husband, father, and dog-owner . . . While he was busy becoming, he had to work a few jobs that he thought were the end of the world. He saw becoming a columnist as a "for now" job that would be a stepping stone to being a journalist. But, in the end he liked being a columnist so much that he didn't want to give it up. And, by trying to make his wife happy, he became the owner of Marley which was basis to his very successful writing career (because he wrote the book that is now a movie). If he had gone straight to trying to be a journalist, his family life would have been very different and he might not have been successful at all.

People best prepare for opportunity by becoming something, such as an artist. If any one of those artists thought the opportunity to decorate cakes would belittle his artistic status and obscure his path to becoming famous as the next . . . whoever, he would be denying an opportunity to create art for the illusion of achieving artistic fame. Duff said that by hiring artists, who are all his friends first, he has given them a job where they are creating art every day instead of waiting tables, or having any other job that is just to pay the rent and to buy art supplies. He has only given them a medium, but it is by their own skill, genius, and imagination that they do what they love. I think anyone who is able to do what they love is successful.

2. I just think Duff is really cool.

He is kind of odd and I really wish he would shave off the landing strip, but I think he had extreme vision when he opened up Charm City Cakes and hired his best friends who perhaps turned out to be the most famous cake decorators in America. In the end they are famous artists after all. I just like this video because he compares cake decorating to his former days as a graffiti artist . . . he is cool.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/35701/ace-of-cakes-graffiti-and-cakes

3 comments:

Linzvor said...

I go to casttv when hulu doesn't have what I want. And I just looked up Ace of Cakes and they've got it http://www.casttv.com/shows/ace-of-cakes/swimming-with-the-sharks/b8p0s4 Most of them are megavideo but some are links to foodnetwork.com but at the moment it's not loading for me...but maybe for you?

Unknown said...

OOoo thanks! I found a few on fancast too. I just wanted to watch one while i sewed but i had to keep reloading minute-long ones so it wasn't working. But i will keep this in mind for next sewing day= jeans #2

Nicki Dunn said...

i love you loving him/this. never watched it. i'll have to take notice next time it's on. ily.