Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Straight from the heart of Rome


Am I so in my element here?

This post is dedicated to my same Caroline Craven and my lover (mistress?) and object of my affection/birthday girl Rachael James Mulder. Also known as Ms. Gorgeous/fashionista/beauty.

So I still love pasta. Even pasta bianca (olive oil and parmigiana) is so good to me. But the boiled object I love most is gnocchi. So soft and chewy like a starburst candy for the dinner plate. No, not that they are sweet, but that the texture is gluttonously inviting.

I recently had a gnocchi lesson from a very Italian cook named Marilena. I met her because Landon Hansen from Rupert, ID told me to look her up. I moved into her ward and I mentioned his name and got VIP service. Her food makes me cry sometimes (not just because of the taste but because sometimes I am so full that I have to chase a bus with my belt unbuckled after we eat at her house and it makes me cry because if I laugh I will throw up). She thought we (me, my roommate, and two girls--Cami and Janise who I met who also know Landon--they were on a European tour but have gone home) were so strange for wanting to make gnocchi instead of an amazing fish pasta, but we were adamant. And I knew I would be here long enough to learn all her fish or pasta secrets (I PRAY).

Step 1- Boil potatoes. The metric system ratio is 1 kilo of potatoes with 400 (more or less)grams of semolina flour. I think that serves 3 or 4 or 5 or something like that.

Step 2- Find a way to get potatoes (without skins) squished out so that you can stir in flour. I think you can just use a masher, but mash them really well.

Step 3- Stir in flour a little at a time. When it gets too hard to stir, knead the mass of starches like you would bread dough. Knead it for 10 minutes or so. The difference between bread and the gnocchi dough is that the gnocchi will not be as elastic. But aim to make it less sticky like you would bread dough.

Keep your hands really floured and rub off the dough stuck to them.

Step 4- Take a chunk of dough and roll into "snakes" about 1/2-3/4 inch diameter. Cut about 1 inch rectangles.
At this point it is completely aesthetic. You can roll them into little balls. You can make them into shapes like red blood cells (always thought they were a cool shape). You can mark them with a fork or something. Marilena had me push them in a quick motion on the back side of a cheese grater. The holes make bumps that look cool. It took me about 15 minutes to get one to look right . . . but I got a "brava" from her in the end. Make sure to put shaped gnocchi on a floured surface, don't let them touch, and sprinkle flour on top of them.

Step 5- Ok. At this point you should have some water boiling. You want to try to get all the gnocchi in together as quickly as possible (I mean that they should go in at the same time). But don't freak out and dump them everywhere. Just GENTLY drop them into the water. Once they go in don't stir them. Don't touch them. When they float to the top they are finished. It takes about 5 minutes or so. Then use a slotted spoon or a strainer to get them out of the pot. She had us put them in a strainer and then dump them into another to really get the water off. Then put them in a big bowl or something and dress them with the sauce you desire. And really, just enjoy. They are such the food to make me say "mamma mia".

love

m.jean gnocchi making machine

here are some pics

reminds me of home for some reason


Piazza Venezia for Unification day

My first glimpse of the Colosseum a few weeks ago


Just another great view of the setting sun

2 comments:

Nicki Dunn said...

I just may try my hand at gnocchi! Thank you Miss Gnocchi QUEEN. XO (Looks like you are doing wonderfully in your new phase of life!)

Caroline Craven said...

Thanks for the recipe and instructions. But I'm going to have to google kilos to figure out the ratios. You (or Nicki for that matter) never told me why you are in Italy. What a fun experience. Comment again on my blog and tell me what you are doing and how long you are going to be doing it.