Saturday, July 3, 2010

My dear ladies,
Most of you know that I am desperately trying to live in Italy soon for the next year. Blah blah blah this subject rules my life. But I kind of wanted to let you all in on what is going on. I mostly want to show you what I am thinking.
Hopefully I will be there in September. I am optimistic. It has been harder than I ever thought it would be to get the ball rolling on this goal, but I have worked for this for the last six months, so I am not ready to give up.
One of the places I have been hoping for is Florence.



Florence is representative of the Renaissance. Most of the architecture and artwork is either from that period or drawn from it. It is the capital of Tuscany. It would be awesome.
My other hot spot is in Turin, but I don't know why this picture is kind of cut off.



Turin is about an hour from Milan and is often overlooked by tourists. But if you have heard of the "Shroud of Turin" or the 2006 olympics, or CHOCOLATE than you have some connection to this beautiful place. Turin invented chocolate for delicate eating. I love it already. It is a beautiful place because it is really Baroque almost all over the city. It has so many cafes that are food for the eye as well as the belly. It is perfect by being close to the sea, mountains,lakes, and cities. Definitely a winning choice. It is also represented by the following picture:




WHAT? HOW DID THAT GET THERE? This image popped up when I googled Turin images. It is from a Silmarillion Chronicles website. If any of you know what that is comment and I will send you a present in the mail. Honestly, I doubt Ashley, Rachael, Nicki, and maybe Lindsey, will know it. LINDSEY--NO HELP FROM TREVOR. Or any of your boys for that matter. Good luck ladies! OH, and no googling or other cheating tactics. Just search your mind.

Here is a real Turin beauty:



I just watched a Discovery channel show on Italy and learned about this crazy rivalry horserace that goes on in Siena, Tuscany. It was so awesome how everyone was so proud of their regions and feasted for days leading up to the horserace. I keep thinking about the reason I chose Italy, which goes back to my last semester at BYU-Idaho with a story that means so much to me but is far to cheesy for blogging, and I hope that I can go to Tuscany. It is called the Heartlands and is the land of vineyards, rolling hills, intense heat, and food, food, food. Sometimes I worry that I will accidently drink wine there. Please hope for me not to become a winebiber,



because a place like this might cloud my judgment.

So I Don't know when, I don't know how, but I know something's starting right now. Watch and you'll see. Someday I'LL BE. Part of that world . . . not of mermaids but of food, language barriers, awkward refusals to drink their daily tonic, and homesickness like crazy. But I think it will either reward me immeasurably or cure the wanderlust within my heart.

LOVE YOU ALL

10 comments:

Linzvor said...

LORD OF THE RINGS

Linzvor said...

Or at least Middle Earth

Linzvor said...

Books about Middle Earth

Unknown said...

I just realized that the competition was unfair because there is no telling if all the others have seen it. Therefore, Lindsey's heinous comment will be stricken from the record. Just kidding, I want to see what everyone else comes up with before i tell you if you are right or wrong.

Nicki Dunn said...

BOOKS WRITTEN BY THE SAME GUY WHO WROTE LORD OF THE RINGS [havent seen them]. they were before the lord of the rings, i think? my dad is a big fan & i'm pretty positive he's taught me this. my other guess is that you are obsessed with midevil times and mythology and made up a random fact in your head and found a silly picture to go with it and have no real basis for this challenge.

Unknown said...

Harsh. You don't have to play my silly game. I like how you spelled it "midEVIL". Not evil!! Fun! This was completely spontaneous. The picture came to me and I loved that it was a dragon (my favorite fantastical creature). so i threw it in. I will have to determine the winner by who is MOST RIGHT.

RACHAEL said...

my final answer has been one of much mind-boggling searching. it has something to do with books, mythical tales of some kind if you will. it is something that interests megan very much, something that she would like to learn more about... something that i would like to learn more about :]].

key word: mythical...

<3

Nicki Dunn said...

winner winner chicken dinner???

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS .. .. (DRUMROLL)


NICKI!!!!! You guys were such good sports to play and think about the most random question any of you would ever answer. Lindsey, I am sorry you didn't win, but you should feel really good about your deductive reasoning! Nicki was a little more specific (key words were written before LOTR). I know just what i will send you . . .

So for the rest of you here is a little lesson:
The Silmarillion Chronicles were published after JRR TOlkein's death, but they were his life's work. They were a history of the elves, and other races that you guys won't understand, and the history of Middle Earth, and its creation. Pretty heavy stuff that I have never actually read or probably ever will read, but by my love for LOTR, I know what it is.

Nicki Dunn said...

YYYYYEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
boooya.
I love to win funny contests on blogs. [& not know about my win until curiosity peaks from a comment on rachy's fb wall].