Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Final Post (written though not posted) from Italy

Arrividerci e Grazie

One week ago, the days were dragging. All I could think about was the steps ahead. I had classes to finish, things to buy, piazzas to say goodbye to. With all of this I still felt like I couldn't fill my days. Then Sunday night came and I don't think I have truly rested since.

All attempts to "wrap up" the feelings I have for Italy would only be futile. But I must write a small note to the country.

Quanto sei bella

Twice a day I raise my fists to the sky and cry out "Italy!"

Once for hate.

Metro strikes.

Shops closing in the middle of the day.

The stupid basket at the grocery store with the broken wheel.

The people who never let me off of the bus before they try to enter.

TERMINI GRRRR

D@$* Cobblestones that break my shoes, my luggage, and my pride as I trip step by step.

Tourists. Get out of my way.

Take one look at this schedule for the Colosseum to realize how inefficient and impossible Italians make everything:



Once for love.

Cioccolato Caldo

24-hour bakery

Fountains

Piazza Navona

Pantheon

Olive oil and sundried tomatoes

Mozzarella di Bufala

Let's walk by the colosseum today.

Piazza del Popolo

Villa Pamphili

and last but not least

GELATO


I could go on forever, but one thing I have learned is that things must come to a close. We have to live our lives so that when they do, it is just the right time. And for me, it is.

Ali asked me a number of questions about my time here. A few answers follow:

Florence vs. Rome= Rome

Favorite spot in Rome= Villa Pamphili and the Pantheon in the evening

Greatest lesson learned= All we have are our choices. They become our history. There is no existence, in heaven or earth, of an alternate reality. There is no "what if". Our choices determine our destiny.

My heart is full of gratitude and love and cholesterol from all the oil, among other things. Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

I have cried some tears. I have hugged Alison almost a thousand times. I have whispered goodbyes to passing moments and places, and to the most amazing friends. It has been an incredible journey.

Italia; Arrividerci e grazie. Ti volgio bene.




3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so jealous of your experience. I wish i was there with you touring and eating and fist pumping. i love you. welcome homeeee!!!! (come visit rexburg!!!)

Arieliona said...

haha wow I can't believe that Collosseum schedule is real! how ridiculous. that would drive me crazy!!!

Tori said...

So beautiful... so tragic. Wow. I need to go again. You are fueling my fire.