Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mag's rag's to Boot


Welcome . . .

To the Megan Whitlock pants' expo. These pictures are of the pants I made before I left for Italy. Gaia & I had a little bit of fun taking pictures so there may or may not be more to come of other clothes later.

Notice the detail. If we ever have the chance to be in the same room again when I wear these I will let you feel the texture.

One of the reasons for this design was to explore alternative means of closure. Ergo: no zipper.
These pants are . . . well take a look.






The finale is actually not my own work. But there is a story there. About 1 year ago I had a mad desire for brown, non-slouch, tight-fitting, knee-high boots. I searched for hours on the internet. I found the perfect pair on Zappos.com and ordered them for $80. They even inspired a shirt design. (below) I even have a facebook quote about them- "Can the perfect boot really bring about a surge of creativity that cannot be suppressed and causes me to design shamelessly at 3:00 in the morning?" Dove Davich had a "like" on this status. (It was also the night I designed my dress that was the basis for the first mags-rags blog post).

When they came in the mail my horror and shock was beyond belief. Anna can attest to my confusion and anger when I found out I had ordered thigh-high, non-fitted boots that looked like expensive galoshes. The circumference was 17 inches!! Not the 9 that my calves needed. That is what happens when shoe companies do not show pictures of boots with legs in them!

So there I was, bootless. I had given painstaking hours to the search and my heart couldn't do it again. My hopes had flown to the moon and were then sucked into a black hole in a matter of 3-5 business days. Of course there were other boots. I could not justify giving my feet a $300 look when I was entering my last semester of college. It was one of the most depressing fashion disappointments of my entire life.

Because the topic of black holes was introduced, we can time travel and come to the present day. Walking the streets of Via Roma it is impossible not to notice the 15 shoe stores, the long bits of leather, the gleaming toes calling my name. One day I saw them. The right height. The right price. The right size. The right look. The right toe, the right color, the right back, and the right fit. It was like an allegory of Bhudda's eight-fold path to reach Nirvana of shoe shopping.

I walked past them several times. A week later I tried them on. I was unsure. There were so many shoes. Maybe there could be a better one. I window searched. I spent a day at H&M. I returned. I tried them on again. Refusing to take them off, I walked up to the counter. These were the ones. Thwarted yet again, I stood with an aching realization that I was 10 euro short. The faces of the ladies fell. "Me despiace." I am sorry. "Anche Io." I replied, I am also sorry. They helped me take them off (we all know boots are a little difficult) and offered to find another pair for less. "No. NO." With resolution I said, "Un altro giorno." Another day.

The time that passed between Saturday and Tuesday was filled with anxiety. What if the price jumped? What if they ran out of my size? What if the shop magically disappeared or went out of business? What if . . .?

No. The day could not have gone smoother. I happened to be wearing my new, funny euro pants that I am sure Dove will not like (similar of Jodhpurs). When combined with the boots, I look like I should hop on a horse with one of those great equestrian hats to search for a fox. But there are so many ways to wear these boots. And I have the perfect dark skinny jeans to pair them with (right now drying on the line). I invite you to look and glory with me as I come to the end of a year long search. Ladies, with all of the things you buy and love: Wear them well.





Love always,

Designs by Jean Lock
Designer Megan Whitlock
M.J. Whitlock
Mags
MJW
m. jean

but always I write with LOVE,

megan jean

6 comments:

Anna Morales said...

You are right. These are the perfect boots! People, not only can I attest to the horror when those other awful boots arrived, but I was there for the entire process. We both knew what she was expecting...then dashed. All her hopes and dreams.
Anyway, I hope that these boots lead you to many more creative designs. Love you!

Linzvor said...

WAY TO GO ON THE PANTS!!! I like to sew but I don't think I could ever take that on! Good job G!

Linzvor said...

Trevor says the first pair just needs a red stripe instead of blue and then you can truly be Hanna Solo :]

Ashley said...

you are always the most talented star in the sky. love the pants (especially the first pair (want to make me a pair? okay!)) and love those boots! i so want a new pair of boots but... alas, no money... or stores to shop at for that matter, and i don't want a catastrophe like yours! love you miss italia <3

theroyalscribe said...

I love all the pictures!!! This is Maren by the way, and I got your text via Skype but I couldn't make your email address work. So email me at marenredd at gmail dot com!

RACHAEL said...

megan... you are SOO gorgeous! seriously, your face is supermodel and i just love it. and those pants??! those pants!!! i am so impressed and excited and in love and proud! they look amazing on you. so perfect. you are such an inspiration to all the tall women in the world. and that is what you truly are .... A WOMAN! you are the definition of strong, beautiful, and talented woman right now.

<3