Thursday, December 16, 2010

Four Calling Birds

Four calling birds are the four gospels. I am not really relating to that as I quickly tell you about my four favorite things about Christmas.

1. Christmas Traditions Whitlock style: Most people think caroling in 2010 is a myth. Little do they know about Kathleen Whitlock's affinity for harmonious tunes. Those of you who have recieved this gift might think that we just spontaneously achieve, but we do have a little rehearsal. Last year we added Josh Groban's "Grateful" (i don't know the actual title) to the list. Every Christmas Eve we go to the regulars, whether they appreciate it or not. We love it. I love it so much that I cried one time that I had a sore throat on Christmas Eve. I still went. I just didn't sing. I was also sad that I couldn't eat my chocolate. Oh well. We added watching the Nativity movie two years ago. Possibly my favorite Whitlock specialty is the giant bag of peanut butter m&ms. Oh, did I mention that everyone gets their own bag? I can't even describe to you how happy it makes me. I think I am the one who eats half of the bag before noon. I am so elated thinking about it that I am not even embarrassed by the previous statement.

2. Umm OF COURSE THE MUSIC. I listen to it the day after Halloween. I am sorry to all the haters who think that is wrong. I just can't wait. My secret ambition, which is about to become public, is to sing with a beautiful man "Baby, It's Cold Outside" which isn't really about Christmas, but it is about a Christmas romance which is good enough for me.

3. I love the memories. I recall two gifts that I didn't expect but were so perfect. When I was little, sisters were everything. We played so much together. One Christmas, my parents got all of us an American Girl doll. I got Felicity--who has red hair. She was always my favorite in the books. That was such an amazing gift. I really felt like Santa Claus had made it possible. The second gift was a beautiful, new set of Scriptures. Many of you know that when I was 14 or so my scriptures went through a terrible ordeal. I went to church and went to the bathroom to blow my nose. I set my quad on the toilet paper dispenser and SPLASH! They fell right into the toilet. Ok, don't freak out. The place had just been cleaned and we were the first ward meeting there. I pulled them out quick, but the damage was done. For the next 8 years I spent time explaining why my scriptures had expanded to twice the normal size. The pages are wavy and weak. I love my new set, but I still have the old. We went through a lot together. But I was so surprised by my mom's gift. It made me really happy.

4. Lights. Camera. Action. I love the lights so much. I love the atmosphere. I love the stuff that people do for each other. I love the peace of looking out on a snowy landscape when it is quiet and everything sounds so near. I love Christmas.

1 comment:

Linzvor said...

Felicity was my favorite too!!
Merry Christmas!